Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Brain Fart and Facing Fears

I couldn't remember my password. It seems to be happening more and more. I try to keep the same password for just about every account...from email, bills, Facebook, etc. but for some reason I forget and generate a variation and next thing I know, I can't remember which variation I'm using.

So the past few days have not been the best for dieting. First, my daughter's birthday and the 72 cupcakes with butter cream frosting... homemade thank you very much... I ate so much frosting that I'm pretty sure my poo with be royal blue anytime soon!

Then I broke one of my front teeth. I'm terrified of the dentist, so much so that my teeth are in horrible condition despite having decent dental insurance that I pay for monthly, yet rarely use. My fear is so bad, that I'm embarrassed to say, I have rarely taken my daughter. I know, I know, bad mom, but thankfully, she doesn't have any cavities. Vanity (i.e. broken front tooth as opposed to cracked molars that are not seen) is what made me grit my teeth and go see a dentist. Actually, I faced some of my fear last month when my daughter needed to have a wisdom tooth pulled. It's not just the pain that I'm afraid of, it's also the cost. They send in the car salesman, otherwise know as "dental health coordinator" to try to up sale their products that of course are not covered by insurance and then makes you feel like crap when you say no... I had one lady tell my "well then you get what you paid for!" Another snot told me, in the midst of my divorce and struggle to keep a roof over mine and my daughter's head: "I'll put the 8 veneers (at $800/ea) in your treatment plan even though I know you won't get them." Word of caution... always... ALWAYS obtain the procedure codes and verify costs with your insurance BEFORE receiving the treatment. They were going to charge me $250 for extract the wisdom tooth. They didn't like that I called them on the carpet. I fortunately have a new dental office and I was very pleased when I went in yesterday. Yes, I have a lot of work that needs to be done, but I am proud that I faced it and getting the work done. I have 2 temporary crowns on my front teeth (the other was in equally bad shape) and they filled cavities on the other 4 top teeth, that in the past would have cost me a lot because at that time it was considered cosmetic to replace the existing fillings. Guess my fear of the dentist save me some money! I'll ease into the other work in the coming months. And I promise to take my daughter in too... she needs braces and I don't want her to have them on when she takes her senior pictures in a few years.

So despite the dental work, I still managed to eat my way through some of the remaining birthday party snacks. I must learn to not put food in mouth when fear strikes...or stress...or boredom...

On top of these two issue, I had a shortage of funds the week before her birthday. I screwed up my checkbook and had bills that had to be paid. So I had to charge some of them. Add the $280 in dental work yesterday, the $205 cheer sweats for my daughter that is due by March...ugh! Oh yeah... I haven't been getting child support for 2 years because my ex has been unemployed...yes, I know I have rights and I've been nice trying to keep the peace...but I'm done being nice. He can afford to pay something since he has no house payment and gets $1900 a month in unemployment. I downloaded the court paperwork, the sh*t is going to hit the fan.

My goals for this year... eat healthier, exercise, get on top of my finances, and get my teeth healthy. I have a lot on my plate... I just need to make sure I leave some of food on it and not put it in my mouth!

No comments: